Friday, February 3, 2012

The Importance of the Pantry

I cannot overemphasise the importance of the well-stocked pantry. The reason I'm bringing this up today is because it's my day off, an the weather is like this:



Sooo... I will not leave this building. And since I'm not fond of starving, this is where my exceedingly well-stocked pantry comes in. I could live for about two weeks without leaving the house. Not that I wouldn't be bored shitless with pasta until then, but I *could*.
Here's a list of things that I have plenty of, and that I find relevant for my survival. All of them keep well over  a little while.

Staple foods
Flour, sugar, baking ingredients, spices, chocolate, eggs, bacon, canned tomatoes, canned corn, rice, pasta, cereal, UHT milk, dried mushrooms, honey, tea, Ovomaltine, pickled beets, potatoes, carrots, leek, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, oranges, bananas. In the freezer: green peas, broccoli, shrimps, spinach.

These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Most of them are stored in a dry place, some obviously need a fridge. I have a tiny fridge. Ask Jay; whenever I'm at his place, I have intense fridge-envy. Even so, once one masters the game of Tetris, even the tiniest fridge is your friend. I also usually buy all the meat I'll need for about two weeks in advance. Can you tell I really don't like to go out unless I have to? Except, of course, on Tuesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment